Monday, August 20, 2012

Vegan Minestrone

As summer draws to an end the idea of hot, hardy soup is quickly becoming something I dream about on a daily bases. Yesterday was finally a cold (and rainy) enough day to jump right on it. So faster then you can say 'hot vegan minestrone' I whipped out my new cook book and got to cooking up a storm as the real one roared on.

Its been such a while since I have posted any recipes on here but a dear friend ask me to do so and I though 'Its about time I do one again anyway' and winter foods are my favorites. They always bring warmth to my family and belly while filling the house with steam and the smell of something that uncooked summer dishes and picnic tables just can't compete with. So, here I am to post an amazing vegan minestrone soup. Don't be frightened away, this stuff is so good I had seconds and the Hubby had thirds! This is no joke when it comes to hardiness, which was surprising to me being that it has no meat.

You will need: a LARGE cook pot or dutch oven, a mashed potato masher, a large ladle, a cutting board, and a good knife.


  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 3 celery stalks, cut
  • 1 Tb. olive oil
  • 1 can northern beans
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 3 small tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
  • 1 can kidney beans (I used dark)
  • 1/2 pound of fresh green beans, chopped
  • 5 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 Tb. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 bay leaf
  • dried parsley (to taste)
  • dried oregano (to taste)
  • dried basil (to taste)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • lemon juice (optional)
  • sour cream (optional)
  1.  In your cook pot or dutch oven saute on medium the onions and celery in olive oil until they are soft (about 4 minutes). 
  2. Add the northern beans. Using the potato masher, mash most of the beans. This will help thicken the soup slightly
  3. add in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
  4. Once at a boil, reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes. 
  5. remove from heat and serve with a drizzle of lemon juice and/or sour cream. 
This makes eight servings so its great for left overs and is a quick meal to heat in the microwave at work too! Like I said, this is amazingly hardy but you can add other veggies and beans to it to suit your taste . Even bacon would be good in this but its amazing without it so it might be good to go easy on the meat additions. Hope you all like it as much as we did. Let me know if you add stuff or change it up a bit and how it works out,I'd love to hear your versions. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment