Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Mexican Casserole

Have you ever made something really simple and you thought it would turn out bland? Or have you ever tried making a type of food you know you don't like because you know the other people eating it would love it *coughHubbycough*? Well that's exactly what I thought this meal was going to be like. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Mexican food. Maybe its because my loving husband asks me to make it so much...Or maybe its because every time I think of Mexican food my heart stops and I pass out and die from heart burn. Or maybe its because of all those bad Mexican restraints I've been with those creepy waiters that stair at you and whisper in other languages that I can understand to each other right before bursting out into laughter. Who knows, what ever the case, me and Mexican food never clicked. At least not until now that is. I tell you... this is by far the best Mexican dish I think I have ever made and you know what... I'd dare say I would be willing to make it again! It was a little spicy but not to hot, the chorizo I used was AMAZING in it and the corn was sweet and added a nice contrast and coolness to the spices. It was so good! Like so good I could just stop right now and go make it and leave you all hanging without the recipe or even a photo. But I wouldn't do that to you all. So... because I think your all awesome... here it is. :)



You will need: a casserole dish, two large skillets, foil

  • 2 ears fresh corn on the cob
  • 8 Oz ground beef
  • 7 Oz uncooked chorizo sausage
  • 1 15oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 TB spoon olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 large yellow sweet pepper, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 C bottled chunky green Verda
  • 1 Tb spoon Chili powder
  • 2 T spoons ground cumin
  • 1/4 T spoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 10 Pack flour tortillas
  • 1 1/2 C shredded cheddar or Monterrey Jake cheese
  • sour cream (optional)
  • cilantro (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Cut corn off the cob into a bowl and set aside. Grease the casserole dish and set aside.
  2. In a large skillet cook the beef and the chorizo until brown and cooked though. Break up any large pieces; drain fat. Add the beans to the meat mix and cook on low just to heat though.
  3. turn off heat and cover to keep warm. In the other skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add in the onion, sweet pepper, and garlic. Cook until tender (about 10 minutes).
  4. Add in the corn and seasonings. cook until heated though.
  5. Place cover the bottom of the casserole dish with 2-3 tortillas. Top with half the meat mix. Make another tortilla layer and then top with half the vegetable mix and then 1/3 the cheese. Repeat.
  6. Cover the top with the rest of the cheese.
  7. Cover dish with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden and cheese is melted.
  8. top with sour cream and cilantro if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment